Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Comprehensive Breakdown of Jason Aldean's "My Kinda Party"

I am guessing that most people have heard this song. And I am also guessing that most people think it is pretty badass. I know that is what I thought when I first heard it. But then, after examining the lyrics closely, this song is actually far different than what I originally thought it was. If you haven't heard it yet, take a quick listen, as I will be breaking it down after the video.


I worked all week.
Cleaned up, clean cut, and clean shaved.
Got the cover off a ’68.
I fired it up, and let them horses sing.
A little pretty thing.
A little tan leg Georgia dream.
She’s a rockin’ them holey jeans.
Baby, what you got goin’ on Saturday?
You know, words got it, there’s gonna be a party,
Out of town about half a mile.
Four wheel drives and big mud tires.
Muscadine wine

First verse, everything is cool, long work week, but decided to clean up so he can impress his lady friend. She’s going pretty casual, but that works, because they’re going to a country party. A very solid opening verse, then we get to the chorus.

[Chorus]
Oh baby, you can find me.
In the back of a jacked up tailgate.
Sittin’ ‘round watchin’ all these pretty things.
I Get down in that Georgia clay.
And I’ll find peace.
In the bottom of a real tall cold drink.
Chillin' with some Skynyrd and some old Hank.
Lets get this thing started.
It’s my kind of party.

This is when the song basically becomes the epitome of awesomeness. It basically sounds like a badass party in the middle of a field with tons of fine women and beer. This hook is completely badass. Skynyrd and Hank, hell yeah, this is my kinda party. I’m not ashamed to admit that I’m fully erect right now. There’s no way he could ruin this song…

Well if you wanna drink.
Go on baby, just do your thing.
But give up your keys.
Hell why drive when you can stay with me?

And I’m soft again. Now let me just say that I am against drunk driving, but there is a time and place for that. In country music, I want it promoted. Country music is not for the sober or socially responsible, it is for rednecks, hicks, and hillbillies. And it’s not like this is necessary. What these four lines really need to convey is that if this broad drinks, she needs to sober up by the morning, because she isn’t going to be staying past her welcome. A real man would let this broad know that it was a privilege that you let her get down with you, but when daylight hits, she needs to hit the road.

At this point, despite their being a ton of badass shit in this song, I am convinced that this song sucks ass. There is nearly no chance that Jason Aldean could turn this song around at this point. Let’s keep going.

And then after while we’ll sneak away from the bonfire.
Walk by the moonlight and down to the riverside.
Gotcha sippin’ on the moonshine.
Baby, if you’re in mood and you can settle for a one night rodeo.
If you can be my tan-legged Juliet,
I’ll be your Redneck Romeo.

Jason Aldean, you magnificent son of a bitch. I did not expect you to take the angle you did, but God bless you for doing it. Most of you are probably confused right now as to how he turned it around, so I’m going to walk you through this slowly, because it is a pretty badass move that Jason Aldean has pulled off in this song.

He gets her away from the party and gets her to sip on some “moonshine.” Maybe I’m reading between the lines, but doesn’t it sound like that shit is laced with enough roofies to knock out a horse? That’s what I thought at first, but I have to admit that I was wrong. You see, the reason he has to steal her keys is actually because that moonshine is laced with LSD. He has no clue about her reaction to the drug. The reason he wants her keys is not because she might drive, it’s because it’s a bad idea to give anything sharp to someone all fucked up on LSD. Wise move Jason, although you plan on having a one night rodeo, I can tell that this isn’t your first rodeo. The homage to Shakespeare at the end isn’t meant for romance, it’s a simple fact that people fucked up on LSD will talk about all types of crazy shit. Plus, it’s better to get her thinking about the romantic Shakespeare shit and not the Hamlet shit so he doesn’t get stabbed in his sleep. Jason is clearly a savvy veteran when it comes to lacing girl’s drinks with LSD. Bravo, Mr. Aldean, Bravo.

He then goes through the chorus a couple more times to reiterate how badass this song really is. Jason Aldean, after examining this song, it is clear to me that you know how to throw “My Kinda Party.”

-Joe

P.S. I don't know why, but I love the following song. I know nobody will admit to loving it too, but if you do, just realize you're not alone. I rock out way too hard to this song, and yes, I hit all the high notes.


P.P.S. And just to redeem myself, here is the only song that could ever replace "Beer is Good" by Psycostick as my favorite song to wake everybody up for tailgating.

I feel like the lyrics about the Freedom Bowl still work, because I'm pretty sure Ricky Stanzi refers to every bowl as the Freedom Bowl.

2 comments:

  1. look dumb ass Jason aldean is took that song from a real singer (Brantley Gilbert) just like he took dirt road anthem from colt ford

    ReplyDelete