Thursday, November 4, 2010

Badass Country

I noticed this a while ago, but I figured I would finally share a simple way of finding badass country musicians. It's amazingly simple, and it works for four out of the top five country musicians out there (Dierks is the exception, and although I do enjoy me some Hootie country music, I wouldn't classify it as badass). The simple way of spotting these badass country musicians is that they have a song that is named after a previous badass country musician. Let's break it down:

Jason Aldean
Song: Johnny Cash
Latest Album: My Kinda Party
Best Song: My Kinda Party - I've only listened to the CD once, so this is just initial reaction, but this was at least good enough to inspire a blog post.
Worst Song: Dirt Road Anthem - He raps in this song. I will never be a fan of country musicians rapping (Corey Smith comes to mind), and this was no exception. Stick to what you know; don't grow an afro (See? I can't rap, so I shouldn't try).
Album Rating: Pretty badass, a lot better than his last CD.

Eric Church
Song: Pledge Allegiance to the Hag (Merle Haggard)
Latest Album: Carolina
Best Song: Smoke A Little Smoke - Really surprised this became a single, because it has a very bluesy feel as opposed to most country. Still, it's a song about getting messed up and not giving a shit about anything, hence it kind of relates to me.
Worst Song: Without You Here - Not a terrible song, but every time I look at the title, it reminds me of 3 Doors Down's "Here Without You" and that reminds me that 3 Doors Down exists, which is a real bummer.
Album Rating: Really badass, but I'd give a slight edge to his first CD.

Josh Thompson
Song: Blame It On Waylon
Latst Album: Way Out Here
Best Song: This one is too close to call, so I'll make it a tie between Always Been Me and A Name In This Town. Always Been Me probably has the edge on being a better song, but A Name In This Town is probably slightly more badass.
Worst Song: Sinner, I listened to this once and that was enough for me.
Album Rating: Completely badass; outside of that one song, you could make a solid argument for any of the others being the best on the CD.

Justin Moore
Song: Hank It
Latest Album: Justin Moore
Best Song: Another tie for me between How I Got To Be This Way and Like There's No Tomorrow. The first one is more badass, but the latter is a love song that is basically about banging like there's no tomorrow. Mad props for that.
Worst Song: Grandpa - I don't like the sentimental shit; I just like to party.
Album Rating: Totally badass, and I can also say that his performance in Iowa City was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Of course, I went VIP status so I could have 5 complimentary drinks (7 and 7s, obviously), and a BBQ Buffet. That is truly the best way to see any country music concert.

If you haven't heard any of the CD's that I mentioned, give them a listen, they're badass, just like me.

-Joe

P.S. This is the funniest thing I have read in a while. Minnesota's current targets for their next football coach are Boise State's Chris Petersen, TCU's Gary Patterson, and Stanford's Jim Harbaugh. That's cute. Although I was unable to confirm this at the time of publication, sources close to me (they're inside my head) said their initial list included Vince Lombardi, Phil Jackson, and Jesus. I can't wait for Lou Holtz to accept this job.

No comments:

Post a Comment