Saturday, November 27, 2010

Yes, I Watched 500 Days of Summer

I have a confession to make, I just watched the movie 500 Days of Summer. People react in two different ways to that. Either, “Wow, Joe, you’re a fag,” or “How have you not seen that movie yet?  It's amazing.” I tend to more agree with the former. It wasn’t really a bad movie, it wasn’t really a good movie, but it basically just an interesting movie. I thought they did a good job of showing the relationship in the movie, but they did some lazy things that really irritated me. They pulled off a gender switch to make the characters more interesting. The girl was the masculine character, and the dude was the feminine character. I call it lazy (because it is), but it’s also quite a genius move. This movie probably doesn’t make the theaters if the roles are done in the traditional manner, yet since I have heard of this movie, I’m guessing it made a shitload of money.

It also bothered me that the one time that the guy showed masculinity as he punched a guy in the face, it was a total bitch move, because instead of fighting him like a man, he sucker punched the guy when he wasn’t paying attention. There is no honor in a sucker punch. Also, can movies please mature past every punch flooring somebody? I’m guessing Mr. McFeminine’s flailing right cross would be slightly more irritating than a mosquito bite. It also bothered me that after his one moment of showing some tiny bit of masculinity, he’s basically crying like a hormonal woman by the end of the night.

I thought the female character was infinitely more interesting than the male character, but she did this by showing male traits of assertiveness and basically did whatever she wanted whenever she wanted. That’s pretty much how I live my life. If you look at this movie, there is a blatant, real world example that mirrors their relationship. Summer and DudeDouche are basically a fictional Ronnie and Sammie Sweetheart from Jersey Shore. Summer is Ronnie mind-fucking DudeDouche, and they just keep crawling back for more no matter how poorly they are treated.

Also, having a narrator in a movie almost definitely means that the writing sucks. If you can’t show things through the characters, then work through it and find a way; there is always a way. The only time you can have a narrator is if it is played by Columbo and he’s telling a story to Kevin from the Wonder Years; then it is awesome.
Awesome Movie

I know my review has kind of ripped this movie, but it is an interesting movie. The relationship was done well, and that is really what this whole movie was based around. As I said in the beginning, it’s really not a good movie, but it’s definitely not a bad movie; it’s just an interesting movie.

-Joe

P.S. No homo.

P.P.S. If you want to watch a movie that has the best five-minute beginning of any movie ever made, go see Faster. The first five are amazing, the first half hour is pretty good, and the last hour makes, well, just don’t think during the last hour. Trust me, it’s for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment