Friday, January 13, 2012

Is Tim Tebow a Religious Poser?

The question at the top of this post is controversial. It's edgy. It goes against what everyone else thinks. Now, if I was on ESPN, I would make this argument and then proceed to shit out of my mouth for fifteen minutes and proclaim myself a genius. Instead, I want to focus on something that really bothered me about this past week. It was the talk of John 3:16.

Tim Tebow’s favorite bible verse is John 3:16. This is important because he threw for 316 yards and averaged 31.6 yards per completion. Now I’m sure many morons looked at that and decided, “Wow, God really does care about football.” I looked at it, and thought, “Wow, maybe Tim Tebow isn’t that religious after all.”

As I have stated before, I actually like Tim Tebow. I'm not disputing that he's a good person, just that he may not be into religion. It’s really pretty simple. John 3:16 is the most famous bible verse there is, and it is also Tim Tebow’s favorite. People who are really into things usually don’t put love the mainstream aspects of it the most. They like the lesser known things, because otherwise going deeper into a subject is kind of pointless if you just love the part that everybody already knows about.

Here’s an example. Imagine a hardcore Metallica fan. I’m sure most of you know one of these as Metallica is one of the biggest bands of all time. If you asked any hardcore Metallica fan what their favorite song was, not a single one of them would answer “Enter Sandman.” Sure, “Enter Sandman” is a good song, but just because it was the most commercially viable does not mean that it was actually the best song that they wrote. Instead, you’ll hear songs like Sanitarium, Master of Puppets, or One. I’m a Metallica fan, but certainly not hardcore, and I would rate all of those songs ahead of Enter Sandman.

So when Tebow says that his favorite bible verse is John 3:16, it doesn’t mean he’s religious, it means he really doesn’t have a favorite verse at all.

-Joe

P.S. This will be my last p.s. because I'm kind of tired of them, and I'll either use them for tweeting purposes (@HottJoe) or have some shorter blog posts. Still, one last one from @si_vault, here is a picture of Chuck Person laying in lollipops:

No comments:

Post a Comment