Monday, June 20, 2016

I'm Not Your Buddy, Guy

More often than not, you run into people you don't know. There are many ways to deal with this situation. One of those is to not say anything, another is to say something nondescript, and the final, and by far the worst, is to add a nickname to the person you do not know. There are many examples of this. Personally, I'm quite fond of Chief, but I have heard from people who don't like it. In my own interactions, I'll usually use Man. But there are many others, including pal, guy, friend, and even boss. The worst of these, and it is not even close, is Buddy.

I was reminded of this as I was getting on the elevator today at work. There was a man in the elevator who took a while to get out as he was busy playing on his phone. This wasn't a big deal to me, as I can handle an extra second of inconvenience. Still, the guy felt the need to apologize, saying, "Sorry about that, buddy."

Who the hell does this clown think he is?

I don't know him, and I'm not his buddy. In fact, I'm nobody's buddy. I don't want my closest friends to call me buddy, because nobody over the age of eight wants to be called buddy. So unless you are talking to Will Ferrell's character from Elf, don't call people buddy.

There is a simple solution to this problem. Just don't add any word to the end of your statements. It's an easier and less annoying plan of action. Just say, "Excuse me." If you need something, throw on "Sir" or "Ma'am" as people will just think you kick it old school, and that's never offensive. Don't throw in a buddy, fella, guy, Jimbo, or any other stupid-add on. Trust me, the world will be better for it.

So don't get it twisted. I'm not your buddy, guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment