Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Ultimate NXT Draft Review: 52-61

In June of 2016, so now nearly two and a half years ago, Lukewarm Jonah and I got together to do an NXT Fantasy Draft. We are going to focus on the NXT roster as the transition from NXT to the main roster or just the progression within NXT provides some fascinating talking points. Although we did a fairly good job, there were definitely some big time misses and some amazing steals. We've already broken down the top 51, and we are now at the penultimate portion of the list with picks 52-61.


52-53. Jonah selects Chris Atkins and Dallas Harper
Joe: Chris Atkins got released, and even though Dallas Harper’s twitter says he is NXT signed, he hasn’t wrestled for two years, and the man hasn’t tweeted for 21 months. Is Dallas Harper alive? Dallas, if you’re reading this, please tell us that you’re fine, or better yet, OH SO FINE.


Jonah: Chris Atkins, good look, good size, got on NXT TV in losing efforts but that seemed like a good sign for the future plus he’s Australian.  He got released and he’s done with wrestling. Dallas Harper is still 6’9” and oh so fine, but I can’t find any article that says he was released.  So he may still be employed, and if he is, he’s the next Roman Reigns.

54-55. Joe selects Dan Matha and Nikki Storm
Jonah: Dan Matha is one of my favorite wrestlers because his only TV appearance was heavily hyped all night, then he got destroyed by Samoa Joe.  It was amazing. He really needs to get off the gas if he ever wants to make the main roster, or just avoid every drug test ever like Jinder Mahal does.  Nikki Storm is someone that I couldn’t believe I didn’t take in the draft. My brain just crashed and I thought she got taken earlier. It’s embarrassing.  Nikki Storm is Nikki Cross, a very talented woman’s wrestler who is actually held back by the group Sanity. Still, she’s a great wrestler and has a great character, she will be a future champion on the main roster where she is headed.  Also, fun fact, she’s incredibly pretty out of her crazy makeup and get up. Check her out in her past roles, stunningly beautiful.


Joe: Yeah, I have not been a big fan of Dan Matha, but apparently all the new rage for the kids is the “drip.” I’m not sure what drip means, but Dan Matha says that he goes drip, drip, drip. I assume it doesn’t mean he has a drippy dong (Almost Heroes reference), but I do have to assume that it’s related to Ol’ Drippy, one of the greatest side characters from Aqua Teen Hunger Force. If his new gimmick is that he’s mold, I am ALL IN.


Fun fact: The main reason I drafted Nikki Cross is because she was going by her real name early on at NXT house shows which is Nikki Glencross. Well, my wife heard Nikki Breadcrumbs, and I would very much get behind a wrestler with the last name Breadcrumbs. But yeah, she’s got a great character and is fun in the ring. I don’t have high hopes for her immediate future as the WWE can only have one woman’s storyline going on at a time unless your Dad dies where they can do a second shitty storyline, so I’m kind of hoping her debuting soon means after WrestleMania.


Jonah: Ol’ Drippy is the best face character in the past 20 years, he heals the sick.

56-57. Jonah selects Daria and Kenneth Crawford
Joe: Incredible picks by Jonah here. Daria is now Sonya Deville and although they haven’t done anything important with her yet, they have given her good losses where it wouldn’t be shocking to see her get a big push in the next year or so.


As incredible as that pick is, it ranks nowhere near how good the Kenneth Crawford pick is, as that man is now known as Montez Ford. If we redid this draft, there is NO WAY that he makes it out of the top ten if I can draft him as a single wrestler as opposed to being stuck with Angelo Dawkins as well. Montez Ford has natural charisma and incredible athleticism. He is still just scratching the surface, and even though I shit on Angelo Dawkins, I do love Street Profits, and I think it has been very valuable for Ford’s development. Still, I want to see them break up as I really would love to see an NXT singles run for Montez, because that is really where he can unleash his full potential. The sky is the limit, and as much as I hate to admit it, this is the single best pick in the draft.


Jonah: Yeah I got back on the winning track with this round.  Sonya Deville will probably be a Women’s Champ at sometime. She’s a good talent just middling along right now due to booking.  She’s also an open lesbian, and I like diversity in my picks. She’s got a good shot at being the first openly gay champion in the WWE.  Montez Ford is awesome, he’s super talented in the ring to go along with his crazy charisma. Hopefully he doesn’t get stuck on 205 Live, he’s a star.

58-59. Joe selects Cezar Bononi and Noah Kekoa
Jonah: Cezar Bononi is on NXT TV, he loses almost every time, but he “puts in a good showing” in a loss.  Usually that means that they have future plans for the guy. He’s got good size, a good look and is good in the ring.  Noah Kekoa is Kona Reeves, The Finest, I guess. He’s on TV, has a character, but also loses pretty much all the time. The Finest is a gimmick that doesn’t fit him well in my opinion.  I think he should be a Patrick Bateman American Psycho type, there’s something about his eyes, they’re disturbing. Anyways, two wrestlers that are still signed and have some potential, good picks.


Joe: I have seen signs of potential in Bononi. No idea whether it will turn into anything, but I would probably take his ceiling over Kona Reeves who basically has the talent of a modern-day Virgil. Maybe he becomes EC3’s butler?

60-61. Jonah selects Uriel and Gabriel Ealy
Joe: I haven’t seen the twins in months. They seem like nice guys, but their in ring work so far couldn’t blow a feather away.

Jonah: One of the twins got released which probably isn’t a good sign for the other.  They’re big guys so I thought they’d get a tag team push, guess not. Gimmick of a guy who has a twin we never see sounds like a fun one to me, let’s give it a try.


Previous Installments:
Picks 1-10

Picks 11-20

Picks 21-30

Picks 31-40

Picks 41-51

No comments:

Post a Comment