Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Drew Lock - 2019 NFL Draft Scouting Report

Missouri's Drew Lock is a guy who I saw some good things of during the season and has seemed to improve his stock through the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine to firmly place himself as a first round option. Still, anytime a guy's stock gets higher after he is done playing football, I start to get real suspicious. So, I took a look at his games against Georgia, Florida, and Oklahoma State to get a better idea of the former Tiger.

First off, I was very impressed with Lock's pocket presence. I'm not sure if he took a single sack in the three games I watched as he was very confident moving around in traffic. This was my favorite example of that skill.

via GIPHY
Here, he not only steps up because of the defensive end trying to turn the corner, but he steps right past the delayed linebacker blitz and then fires a strike for a touchdown.

Drew Lock also excels throwing on the move.

He was a pretty good high school basketball player, and you can see that in his play. He's very good while in motion, and even though he isn't the most athletic quarterback, he is pretty smooth in all of his actions, and it allows him to remain accurate while in less than ideal conditions.

He can also slang that deep ball.

Here, he begins looking to his right, but then scans over to his left and realizes that even though it is double coverage, the safety does not have a good angle on the play and fires up a nice ball that his receiver comes down with.

He does seem to be fairly smooth in going through progressions.

This is an easier example to see him scanning the field, as he is clearly looking to his left, and the deep safety (31) starts to move in that direction before he moves onto the crossing route where his receiver has plenty of room to make the catch and gain yards.

Something that shows up on the play above as well as this next play is that Lock isn't quite accurate enough.

via GIPHY
It's not a bad throw, but it's not a good enough throw as it's slightly behind the receiver, and this time it causes an incompletion.

Finally, I want to point out the most concerning thing about Lock, and that is that he is not a nice person. This doesn't make you cool, Drew Lock.

It's like he's auditioning for Jackass. And he did this to his receivers repeatedly. This is not cool at all.

I'm half joking about Drew Lock pranking his receivers by nearly getting them decapitated, but it is important that a quarterback not lead his receivers into massive hits, and Missouri receivers took some massive hits. It does make me question his vision to understand how defenders are moving.

Drew Lock may be the most frustrating quarterback I have ever evaluated. I would notice that he wasn't doing a good job of leading his receivers, and he would lead a receiver over the middle perfectly for a big gain. I would notice his footwork breaking down, and he would move in the pocket, and clean up everything on the next play. I would think that this guy shrinks up when there is pressure, and he would overcome an oncoming blitzer and make a tough throw. On one hand, he showed me absolutely everything you need to see from a successful quarterback. On the other, he showed me everything that could prevent him from succeeding at the next level. I am back to college, and the Drew Lock is the pretty girl that seems to be all over me one second, but then completely disappears the next. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, PRETTY GIRL DREW LOCK.

In short, the accuracy bothers me enough where I'm steering clear in the first round. He does show flashes, but if I was taking a chance on a quarterback, I'm still jumping on that Tyree Jackson train.

Previous Scouting Reports:
Noah Fant - Iowa Hawkeyes - Tight End
Dwayne Haskins - Ohio State Buckeyes - Quarterback
TJ Hockenson - Iowa Hawkeyes Tight End
Amani Hooker - Iowa Hawkeyes - Safety
Josh Jacobs - Alabama Crimson Tide - Running Back

Tyree Jackson - Buffalo Bulls - Quarterback
Daniel Jones - Duke Blue Devils - Quarterback

Kyler Murray - Oklahoma Sooners - Quarterback
Anthony Nelson - Iowa Hawkeyes - Defensive End

No comments:

Post a Comment