Saturday, June 22, 2019

The Ultimate NXT Draft: Picks 51-60

We have already knocked out the first 50 picks, and I feel it's an interesting process for any NXT fan. I'm going to admit, this is probably the point where it gets weird. If you are a diehard, these next 84 picks are really going to be for you, but you only need to worry about the next 10 for now where I get so desperate that I take a manager.

51. Jonah selects Mansoor
Jonah: Mansoor is a good wrestler and he’s Saudi Arabian. That means he has a guaranteed job for the next few years. He just won a 51 man battle royal, and he’s going to continue to be able to actually show his skills so he can get a big win once or twice a year for that sweet sweet blood money.

Joe: Mansoor is fine at this range. Jonah had an unfair advantage by actually watching Super Showdown so I just found out that he won the Battle Royal. Good for him.

52. Joe selects Reina Gonzalez
Joe: It took me a long time before I took another female competitor as Jonah was reaching for every lady he could get his grubby paws on, but I’m a little more selective in my choices, so I waited until the time was right to strike. Fittingly, that describes Reina Gonzalez who is a former basketball player who is working on turning herself into a female Stan Hansen. I’m hoping she’s saving the debut of a jaw full of Copenhagen for the main roster.

Jonah: Reaching? Psssshhhh. Gonzalez is tall and has been pretty good in the limited amount of times I’ve seen her in the ring. If she does get a fat dip in her lip, she’ll be a much higher pick in the redraft by me, because that’s something I can respect.

53. Joe selects DJZ/Joaquin Wilde
Joe: While Jonah tried to corner the market on every ovary available, I went with every Indy darling available. DJZ had made quite a name for himself without the WWE, so it’ll be fun to see what he can do within the system.

Jonah: I’m not sure if I would call DJZ/Joaquin Wilde an indy darling. He was in TNA for the past seven years. He’s a good wrestler, but he’s a 205 Live guy for sure. Like I said he’s good in the ring, so not a bad choice here.

Joe: The man won the Todd Pettingill Invitational, so yeah, I’d say he’s got plenty of indy street cred. (Full disclosure: I biffed my analysis on this one. DJZ probably got mentioned on like one episode of The Art of Wrestling, and I was convinced he was an Indy guy, whoopsies)

54. Jonah selects Steve Cutler
Jonah: Steve Cutler has been around forever. He’s also a former marine and I mark for the armed forces. He’s actually a good wrestler with decent size and a decent look, he just needs a gimmick to get over. Luckily I have the perfect gimmick for him. Inspired by Steve Adamle’s call of ‘The Cutler did it” turn him into Steve “The Butler” Cutler. Instant World Champ.

Joe: There are only so many ways to say that one of Jonah’s picks are fine, so I’m just going to copy and paste from Wikipedia, “Steve Cutler (born 28 July 1960) is an Australian former state and national representative rugby union player who represented Australia in 40 test matches between 1982 and 1991.[1] He is a former senior vice president and chief operating officer of Kendle International, an international contract research organization. He previously worked as head of global project management for Quintiles.” To recap, he’s almost 60 years old, and Wesley Blake only tags with Australians.

55. Jonah selects Xia Li
Jonah: I keep it international, so I want Xia Li the first Chinese women’s wrestler in the WWE. She was talented enough to get a spot in the 2019 Women’s Royal Rumble and I expect her to get a lot more TV time soon.

Joe: Xia Li is so bad in the ring that I didn’t take Karen Q, because I couldn’t remember which one I really didn’t like. She wasn’t talented enough to make the Royal Rumble, she was Chinese enough, like Tian Bing before her, it’s not exactly a sign of great success.

56. Joe selects Humberto Carrillo
Joe: Good looking guy who is good in the ring, with a 100% chance that his name is shortened to Carrillo in the next year.

Jonah: Carrillo is a pretty handsome dude who is a good wrestler. Not sure if he’ll do anything noteworthy in NXT, but he should be able to carve out a good spot for himself on 205 Live.

57. Joe selects Robert Strauss
Joe: The former Robbie E has been hanging with my Australian duo on the Florida house show loop, but this is a guy with a good look who can talk, so the WWE has a lot of different options with him.

Jonah: Look I hate anyone who even has a gimmick associated with the Jersey Shore. He does have a good look and he can talk, but I have an unnatural hate of him so enjoy Joe.

58.Jonah selects Jessamyn Duke
Jonah: Duke was a pretty good MMA prospect before she started training with Ronda Rousey. Still, that athleticism and amateur background should help her make the transition to professional wrestling. Hopefully Rousey can help her with the trash talking and professional wrestling, and I felt like I needed the other Horsewomen since I took Baszler earlier.

Joe: The most positive thing I can say about Jessamyn Duke is that she’s not as bad as your next pick.

59. Jonah selects Marina Shafir
Jonah: Shafir is the other Horsewoman I needed to have three of the four. She is good at Judo and armbars like her buddy Rousey, so hopefully that translates into her being skilled at professional wrestling as well. She’s also married to Roderick Strong, so I assume she’s awesome at backbreakers too.

Joe: The nicest thing I can say about Marina Shafir is...

60. Joe selects Malcolm Bivens
Joe: The man formerly known as Stokely Hathaway was one of the most surprising signings the WWE made, but it’s not due to lack of talent, it’s what that talent is. Bivens is a manager, plain and simple. He can take a bump, but he is out there to stir up heat, and he does it incredibly well. Outside of Paul Heyman, the WWE has made managers an endangered species, but this is a guy who has the talent to bring it back. He can compel a crowd, and he will quickly become a guy that you love to hate.

Jonah: I love managers, but just couldn’t see myself taking one this early. I hope the WWE actually uses him because there’s so much talent on the roster, but not everyone can talk. Based on his name I assume he’s a big fan of Bel Biv Davoe which also makes him awesome.

Previously in the NXT Draft:
Picks 1-10

No comments:

Post a Comment