Friday, February 16, 2018

The 2018 XFL Mock Draft - Guys That Kick

In anticipation of Vince McMahon bringing the fun back to football (more concussions, woohoo!), Lukewarm Jonah and I went back and forth to do an XFL Draft. Instead of breaking this down round by round, we are going to go by position groups.Today, we finally get to the guys you have been waiting for, kickers and punters.

Jonah: 
Kicker: Connor Barth
Punter: Austin Rehkow

Joe: 
Kicker: Roberto Aguayo
Punter: Tom Hackett

Joe: For kicker, I went with the most hilarious choice in Roberto Aguayo. I am considering bringing in David Beckham for some competition.

For punter, I went with an Australian who did well enough at Utah to become a two-time consensus All-American and a two-time Ray Guy Award winner for being the best damn punter in college football. It simply doesn’t get better than this. 

Jonah: Oddly enough kicker and punter are two of my favorite picks.  Connor Barth is a solid NFL veteran who also happens to be a buddy of mine.  He’s gotten a tough deal a lot of years, but seemed a little off this year.  I’m not worried as I can get him back on track.  He’s a historically very accurate kicker who always got released because of leg strength concerns.  He hit three field goals from 50+ yards in a game so I’m not sure how well founded those concerns are, plus I just want a kicker who can make field goals not kick the ball out of the stadium.

Speaking of kicking the ball out of the stadium, my punter Austin Rehkow can do just that.  He is another Vandal, but was the top rated punter in this year’s draft.  His leg strength is insane and over four years of college he added excellent directional kicking to that great leg strength.  His huge punts come with a bunch of hangtime, letting the coverage team get downfield.  He was an undrafted free agent with Buffalo but didn’t make the team and wasn’t picked up by anyone.  Also, if we need a long field goal to win the game, he kicked a 67 yard one to win, while he was in high school.

Joe: Jonah, I thought you were full of shit on Rehkow being the top rated punter, but sure enough, most of the pundits did rate him as the top guy. Funny how I called him a guy as, unlike my punter who won two of them, Rehkow was never able to get the prestigious Ray Guy Trophy for best punter in the nation, but I’m sure he’s still a fine young man.

Jonah: Austin Rehkow is someone that I am legitimately surprised isn’t on an NFL roster.  The would be NFL record 67 yard field goal in high school isn’t a made up story either, the guy should be punting in the NFL.  He was always on the Ray Guy watch list, but going to Idaho killed his chances of ever winning.  I’m excited by your kicker pick because I think it can lead to a feud which is exactly what the XFL needs.  Aguayo took Barth’s job in Tampa Bay, but then Aguayo couldn’t beat out Barth in Chicago lot of bad blood and heat there.  The promo war between the two will be insane.

Joe: That will be fun, especially since Aguayo will not be given an English speaking gimmick. Maybe I can get Zelina Vega to manage him and handle the promo side of things.

Well, that is our last positional breakdown. We will come back one more time to summarize each roster and probably never come to a consensus on who has the best roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment