Thursday, December 3, 2020

Luka Garza vs. Spencer Lee - Who Will Have The Better Year?


The Iowa Hawkeyes are in an insane place right now. They have the #3 ranked basketball team and will presumably have the #1 ranked wrestling team when that season gets underway. As crazy as that is, they also have favorites to be crowned the best basketball player and best wrestler in the nation. This stuff doesn't happen for Iowa. I mean, even in wrestling, Iowa hasn't had a Hodge Trophy favorite since Brent Metcalf, and he won his back in 2008. For basketball, just thinking off the top of my head, I don't think Iowa has had a first round pick since Ricky Davis in 1998. The last time it was a top-10 pick, back in 1980. So, yeah, this is a bit of unchartered territory for the Hawkeyes. I'm not saying Luka is that level of draft prospect, but it gives you an idea that elite talent is fairly rare for the Hawkeye program.

So the question becomes, when you have the best at their respective sports, who is going to end up having the better year?

First off, we have Spencer Lee, who at first glance seems to be untouchable. I mean, is anyone a real threat for him this year? He has dominated his entire college career, and he only seems to have gotten better this offseason. Patrick Glory and Vito Arujau are good, maybe great, but greatness doesn't even begin to get on Lee's level. The only potential road block would be for Daton Fix to drop weight for this season, and even then, I'm not sure if it matters. Without Fix around, there is a legitimate shot that Spencer Lee could bonus every single opponent this season. Although slightly far-fetched, there's a chance that nobody goes the distance with Spencer Lee as he might just tech fall and pin his way through the season. I know, I know, that is very unlikely, but it's crazy to objectively look at it, and go, "It's not impossible." 

On top of all of that, Iowa is the clear favorites to win the National Championship this year. Penn State has reloaded, but still, Iowa has the potential for All-Americans in every single weight class, including four guys with VERY realistic shots at a National Championship (Lee, Eierman, Marinelli, Kemerer). This team is SPECIAL. It's going to be an amazing year, and it will all be led by Lee.

And then we have Luka Garza, who, let me be clear, is not a slouch. He was incredibly close to being named the Naismith Award Winner last year, being edged out by Obi Toppin, and when most guys put up that incredible of a season, they get out of town and into the NBA as fast as possible. I mean, it's not like he can really improve on what he did last year. 

Except he might.

There have been enough videos online over the summer to get me WAY too excited about what he will do this season. The man already possessed a plethora of moves inside, but now he has dabbled with a sky hook while relentlessly working to create a more consistent three-pointer. It was an all-time year last year, and now it might get better? Good lord.

But even if Garza does his absolute best, it isn't going to compare to Spencer Lee individually. Lee's average is better than Garza's best; the wrestler is just that good. But what could put Garza over the top is team success.

I am in the great, great, great minority that loves college wrestling more than college basketball, but I understand the importance of a great Iowa basketball team. I mean, if Iowa made the Final Four, how incredible would that be? It would definitely be incredible enough to make it a serious discussion about who had the best year this season.

And if Iowa wins the National Championship? That thought would have seemed crazier than Spencer Lee going on a tech fall and pin streak through an entire season, but now, there is a clear path. Iowa would have to play incredible basketball and tighten up their defense, but again, they are the third ranked team in the nation right now. This dream could legitimately become a reality.

And if Garza wins the Naismith AND leads the Iowa Hawkeyes to a National Championship, it would be impossible to say any Iowa athlete had a better year than that.

2 comments:

  1. I want to share this wonderful testimony to the Good people all over the world on how I was able to Enlarge my Penis by Dr. Aziba. I was living a shameful life from my young age, just last month as I was browsing on the internet about Penis size  and Enlargement Products, I saw a testimony of a Man called Tim James testifying of how he was able to get his penis Enlarged by Dr. Aziba and I decided to also Email Dr. Aziba for my small penis size and he quickly respond to me and gave me the normal instructions which i did and then he shipped the product to me here in the united state which i received in just 3 working days and today i am very happy because i started seeing positive changes in my penis size in just 7 days of use.  Dr Aziba herbal product is the best recommended for you and to whom ever suffering from this shame or having any other diseases as well should Contact this great herbal doctor via his Email : Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com and WhatsApp Him on +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete