Monday, December 3, 2012

Return of the Greg McElroy

I am not the world's biggest Greg McElroy fan. I'm sure his friends and family root for him more vigorously than I do. But I am probably McElroy's biggest fan in the state of Iowa, and that's not too shabby. It started during his college career as he always did a great job of leading the Alabama offense. Him and Julio Jones created one of the most efficient duos in college football. They weren't they most dynamic or feared, because that's not how Alabama's offense rolls. Still, McElroy was impressive enough for me to name him the most underrated QB in the 2011 Draft.

In 2011, Greg was drafted by the New York Jets. It was a pretty ideal situation, because I was never and will never be a believer in Mark Sanchez. He seems like a nice guy, but he's simply not good at being a quarterback. I knew it was only a matter of time. Finally, Greg got his chance. After three Sanchez interceptions, bringing his total to like 100 for the year, Rex Ryan had seen enough and decided to go with G-Mac. The Mack Daddy did not let him down, as he heroically led his team down the field for the game winning score. They could have scored again, but Shonn Greene downed the ball on the one yard line, because the Jets are a classy team with G-Mac leading the crew.

In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't prove a whole lot, but it is good to see McElroy having some mild success in his first real action. As I said before the draft, I didn't see a star, but I saw a serviceable quarterback. The Jets defense has quietly been very good again this year, and a serviceable QB like McElroy could make them a dangerous team in the future. Plus, if he came out to this song...

...he would become the most popular player in NFL history.

No comments:

Post a Comment