Wednesday, April 8, 2020

I Love Buying Tools

I am nowhere near a handyman. I’m sure that anyone with a moderate level of competence with tools would laugh at some of my techniques and the janky way that I accomplish things. That being said, I keep getting better, learning more and more each time I need to tackle a new project. And I have to admit, building and fixing things is freaking awesome. I get to go off and be on my own, try, fail, try again, and usually succeed. Even the failures aren’t too bad because that likely means that it’s too dangerous for me to reliably accomplish or something is just straight up broken and needs to be replaced.

But there is no better feeling than running into a project and realizing that I do not have what I need to get it done. That means I get to buy new tools. I can’t believe how excited I get about buying new tools. It is the equivalent of a child getting a video game. It doesn’t matter the level of the tool, just getting a new tool is exciting. It could cost $5 or $100, but either way I am like a kid on Christmas whenever it is justified.

Most recently, I bought new vice-grip pliers. I didn’t have this tool, and now I’m wondering why I’ve been wasting my time with other pliers. They made a difficult job that I was exerting way too much energy into and made it ten times easier. It’s awesome. Now I just want to go around gripping things.

A year ago, I bought a reciprocating saw because I didn’t want to pay $400 to replace my mailbox. I ended up engineering a janky fix that nobody in the HOA has noticed. That means that I solved a $400 problem for $100 and I still have a cool tool in my garage. Have I used it since then? Nope, and I literally can’t even think of a project where I could use it. But it’s already paid for itself so it’s still a massive win.

Tools are awesome. Fuck yeah, tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment