Monday, October 28, 2013

A Guide For Grooms: Find Time For Yourself

So the whole week of the wedding, there is no free time. You must constantly be working towards the wedding ceremony and reception or socializing to make a good impression, because your bride needs outside approval from everyone who is there. Finding time for yourself is incredibly difficult, so be smarter than me and come up with a plan.

Although I did not have a plan, I did luck out in finding some me time. The one thing that helped me initially is my enjoyment or running, since it is really hard for people to argue against a person staying in good shape. But running isn't all that much fun, and I couldn't go for any epic runs and feel like crap the rest of the day; otherwise, there would be problems.

Where I really lucked out was a delayed flight. Suddenly, plans to pick up multiple people meant that we would need separate trips for the people. That means I had to drive an hour to the airport to pick up a family member. This was basically the best news ever. I got an hour in a car by myself. Also, I can get there early, frame it as me being responsible, and literally just sit there, listening to the Art of Wrestling podcast. It was glorious. Plus, it gave me a reason to go out of my way to get myself a lunch that I could not normally get which added an extra bit of awesome to my day. Also, the drive back gave me some one-on-one time with my airport guest, and I can say that all of my airport guests were great conversationalists. I ended up making three trips on three different days, and it was the greatest thing that could have happened to me. I have a feeling of euphoria just looking back on it. Ah, memories.

So, grooms, even if you aren't big on fitness, volunteer for airport duty. If you’re a stupid oaf like me, you usually just get in the way of things, so it should be easy for you to convince the bride that it is a great way to stay out of the way and still be productive. Best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment