Monday, July 23, 2018

Banana Bread Is a Lie

Banana bread is delicious. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't like banana bread. It has bananas, it has bread, and somehow, when you mix the two together, you get a delicious healthy snack.

Well, I have some bad news for you, because banana bread is a lie.

We had let some bananas get over-ripened this past week, so my wife decided she would make banana bread. Then she got busy, and I offered to make it. I told her to just send me the recipe, as even though I rarely bake, I figured I could handle this task.

It started off fine. I put in two cups of flour. Considering I was making bread, that made sense. Add in a couple teaspoons of baking soda; that also seemed like a bread thing to put in there. Oh, then add in those three bananas. Really, I was going to be pretty good right there as I had both banana and bread. Nuts were optional, but you know I was throwing in some walnuts to add some texture. Then I added in five eggs, and yeah, I can justify that part too.

Then it was time to add the butter, which was a cup. Jesus, that's two sticks of butter. No wonder this shit is is savory.

Finally, it was time for the sugar. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the amount of sugar. TWO WHOLE CUPS of sugar. This was as much sugar as it was bread. I literally did not have that much white sugar in the house, so I did one cup of white and one cup of brown, but this is most certainly not the healthy snack that I had imagined for over 30 years of my life. It's just a ton of sugar and butter. You could literally add anything after that, and it would be delicious, but it sure as hell wouldn't be healthy.

Anyway, I baked the banana bread for an hour to find out what I had created. I took my first bite, and, oh man, it was a little slice of heaven. I totally get why people love this stuff. Give me all the sugar, give me all the butter, I'll deal with the clog in my arteries later.


No comments:

Post a Comment