Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Getting the Same Breed of Dog Is Psychotic

Dogs are great, aren’t they? They can fill whatever role you need them to. Some can protect, some can support you emotionally, and some can just be party time goofballs. It’s amazing that everyone doesn’t have a dog, especially since there are so many great varieties of dogs out there. Labs are amazing, golden retrievers are fantastic, even corgis are off the chain. There are so many great dogs that you’d have to be an absolute psycho to get the same breed multiple times.

So, yes, I got another weimaraner.

People who own weimaraners are freaks. They have to be, because weimies are freaks. They are absolute trainwrecks that have boundless energy and need your attention at all times and at all costs. Their owners reciprocate this, and in turn, need the dog’s attention at all times, and it leads to emotional co-dependency that is so excessive that it is not healthy for it to exist in this world.

I used to make fun of these weirdos. Then I became one.

When Casey The Dog was around, I rightly claimed that I would not get another weimaraner, because it couldn’t compare, and there are so many great dogs out there that I didn’t need to get a specific breed. Also, it would remind me of Casey instead of being a clean slate with a new pup. These things are undeniable, and yet I still went against these thoughts when it was time for a new dog.

I knew I couldn’t replace Casey, but why wouldn’t I get something as close to her as possible? The short answer is because that’s a psycho maneuver like the guy who dates someone who looks just like his ex. But now that we have a ten-month-old son, a dog breed that we knew was an appealing thing to us as it’s not easy for a dog and baby to coexists. Weims are insane, but they are also gentle, loyal, and snuggly as all hell.

My wife said I could only get a dog in December if that dog was “perfect.” Otherwise, she wanted to wait until after the little guy’s birthday in February. But let’s be clear, this was just a ploy to buy her time as it’s not like she was going to agree to an “imperfect” dog. Luckily for me, I found Kimber on a rescue site based in Tallahassee. When I sent my wife the link, her response was, “Well crap. She’s kinda perfect.” Before she even responded, I reached out to try to get more information. One thing led to another and on Christmas Eve, I drove over 9 hours roundtrip to pick up Kimber and bring her back.

And she has been perfect. She’s a weim, so she’s crazy, but she’s so gentle and loving that she’s a perfect fit for our family. It was a great decision but admittedly, a total psycho move. I know, subconsciously, that I think of her as an extension of Casey. It’s impossible not to, but maybe that’s okay. I mean, I only messed up her name twice, which is way better than I expected to be doing at this point. Kimber is still her own dog, and lucky for us, she’s exactly what we needed.

I guess sometimes it works out to be a psycho.

No comments:

Post a Comment