Sunday, September 15, 2013

7 College Football Thoughts For Week 3 - Scouting Quarterbacks

1. First off, I was very underwhelmed by Brett Hundley. I know he won the game and by a large margin, but Nebraska's defense is just terrible. Hundley was just locking in on receivers and hesitating for a split second before throwing the ball. If the defense was reading his eyes at all, they were able to break on the ball before it was even in the air. When he actually did scan the field, it was never smooth and looked very robotic.

Hundley did show good mobility throughout the game and he seemed to have decent pocket awareness. One thing that I do wonder is whether he might be better with more pressure. He seemed to hold onto the ball long, because he had no pressure and maybe he would make quicker decisions and throws if he was forced to.

The good news is that he does have a good arm on him. He threw some nice balls and showed good accuracy for the most part. I would have liked to see more routes where he was forced to lead his receivers, but they threw a lot of curls and comebacks throughout the game. His touchdown pass down the near sideline was a thing of beauty.

2. Taylor Martinez...no. In all seriousness, he does a nice job in that offense, and he was pretty accurate early on, but the T-Magic stopped working in the second half. Also, he will always have two games a year where it's just brutal to watch him. Also, the arm strength isn't there for him to be a real quarterback prospect at the next level.

3. Teddy Bridgewater, on the other hand, is fun to watch. He is so smooth. He is able to go through his reads, and is willing to throw the ball away if nothing is there. Kentucky did a really nice job of taking away his first options and not letting him get anything deep, but he was willing to check down and take the gains that were open underneath. On top of that, he does some nice work with his play action where he will really hold that ball out until the last possible moment before keeping it for the pass play. Basically, just about everything about him is fantastic. He leads people  in stride, can throw it down field, it's all there. I love Clowney, but I have a very tough time believing that Bridgewater won't be the first pick in the draft.

4. For Blake Bell, I didn't watch a ton of the game, but man, that guy really floats his balls down the field. That won't work at the next level, but he was pretty damn accurate from what I saw, and if he can keep that up, Oklahoma has a good shot at the Big 12 title. He's not much of a prospect at the next level, but it's still fine to enjoy him for what he is.

5. Johnny Manziel was pretty impressive early on. Showing great accuracy when throwing the ball down the field. He was just tearing up Alabama with man-to-man, because he was either finding an open guy or was able to scramble, because everyone in coverage had their back to him. He was just taking his time and carving things up. His passes were incredibly accurate. It was all good.

Okay, so that stupid throw. It was 3rd and 8, so even if it gets picked, it doesn't really cost them that much, because they were going to be too far out for a field goal. They're looking at a pooch punt or a 4th and 8, which, even though he was rolling, is not an easy conversion. That being said, I think Johnny Manziel is just a madman who doesn't give a shit about anything, and none of that was actually going through his head. He really just wanted to make a play.

His interception in the end zone wasn't that bad. Not a great throw, but it wasn't done out of cockiness, as the CBS announcers stated. He just overthrew it a little and his receiver badly misjudged it. His interception at the beginning of the third quarter was much worse as he forced a ball into coverage, under threw the pass, and paid for it on a tip. His problem was that he was so successful throwing the ball down the field early on that he just kept doing it, and it eventually caught up to him. Also, the breaks just did not go their way, as Alabama really only stopped them with good defense on one drive in the first half. Otherwise, they were hurt by penalties, that first interception, and running out of time at the end of the half.

6. A.J. McCarron is solid in all aspects of the game. The arm strength is not going to wow you, but he knows what he's doing out there. He makes quick decisions in everything that he does. He also does a very good job of reading a defense before the ball is snapped to put him in a position to succeed. The toughest thing about scouting McCarron is he is surrounded by players on offense that are way better than any players he could face on defense. This is just as unique of a situation as trying to scout Marcus Mariota and the offense that Oregon runs to give them an advantage. I don't think he's been as good this year as he was last year, but the core skills are there for him to be successful.

7. I have heard Marcus Mariota rumored as a top QB prospect, and although I like him for the Eagles at the next level, I do not see him as a big time prospect for most teams. He's a fine thrower, but it is tough to put pressure on Oregon, and he showed an extreme lack of pocket awareness against Tennessee. I'll admit to seeing only about five plays from him in that game, but those are my initial thoughts from my limited view of him. 

30 comments:

  1. There's shocking news in the sports betting industry.

    It has been said that every bettor needs to look at this,

    Watch this or stop placing bets on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Advanced Sports Betting Software.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adopting these two football betting strategies across a whole season will produce you a decent income from football.
    To take your football betting to another level visit the site in my signature and I will help you make serious money. https://gaminggear.hateblo.jp/entry/Gaming_gear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. mponline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. اختبارات سلطنة عمان

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shocking learning and I seize the opportunity to bestow this kind of information to my mates and desire they like it they why I do.. cpap cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I no uncertainty esteeming each and every bit of it. It is an amazing site and superior to anything normal give. I need to grateful. Marvelous work! Every one of you complete an unfathomable blog, and have some extraordinary substance. Keep doing stunning. Tamilanguide

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. private contracts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. business coach

    ReplyDelete
  9. I inquisitive more enthusiasm for some of them trust you will give more data on this subjects in your next articles. Vartman naukri

    ReplyDelete
  10. A to a great degree brilliant blog passage. We are really grateful for your blog passage. fight, law usage You will find an extensive measure of techniques in the wake of heading off to your post. I was absolutely examining for. An obligation of appreciation is all together for such post and please keep it up. Mind blowing work. ap govt jobs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. assam career

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially awesome read!! I unquestionably extremely enjoyed all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. color copy for economical at 55printing.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The site is affectionately adjusted and spared as much as date. So it ought to be, a debt of gratitude is in order for offering this to us. ap govt jobs

    ReplyDelete
  14. The site is affectionately adjusted and spared as much as date. So it ought to be, a debt of gratitude is in order for offering this to us. ap govt jobs

    ReplyDelete
  15. A decent blog dependably concocts new and energizing data and keeping in mind that understanding I have feel that this blog is truly have each one of those quality that qualify a blog to be a one. Ocean Wave Sounds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gangaur Realtech is a professionally overseen association having some expertise in land administrations where coordinated administrations are given by experts to its customers looking for expanded an incentive by owning, involving or putting resources into land. Lowfi Hip Hop

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gangaur Realtech is a professionally overseen association having some expertise in land administrations where coordinated administrations are given by experts to its customers looking for expanded an incentive by owning, involving or putting resources into land. liteblue employee login

    ReplyDelete
  18. I needed to leave a little remark to help you and wish you a decent continuation. Wishing you the good luck for all your blogging endeavors. macys insite employee login

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bruc Bond endeavor to lead the financial sector with sustainability, customizable product offering, and open communication. At Bruc Bond we aim to make 21st century banking straightforward, simple, and transparent. Bruc Bond

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bruc Bond endeavor to lead the financial sector with sustainability, customizable product offering, and open communication. At Bruc Bond we aim to make 21st century banking straightforward, simple, and transparent. Bruc Bond

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. reishi spore oil

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am scanning for and I need to post a comment that "The substance of your post is magnificent" Great work! buy organicdonkey milk cosmetics online

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its incredibly charming instructive post. an obligation of appreciation is all together for the post. cafe cuoi tuan

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a business with frequent travelling employees - you're most likely more than aware that business travel planning entails time and money, two very valuable things. Here are a few notions to keep in mind to stay on the ball of your business travel planning. Photos of Venice by Eyal Nachum

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm eager to reveal this page. I have to thank you for ones time for this especially fabulous read !! I unquestionably extremely loved all aspects of it and I likewise have you spared to fav to take a gander at new data in your site. www.corporateofficeheadquarter.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I require you to thank for your period of this radiant read!!! I definately value every last bit of it and I have you bookmarked to take a gander at new stuff of your blog an outright need read blog!!!! Sons da Cidade

    ReplyDelete
  27. In this article understand the most important thing, the item will give you a keyword rich link a great useful website page: سرور مجازی

    ReplyDelete
  28. General visits recorded here are the most easy system to esteem your imperativeness, which is the motivation behind why I am taking off to the site conventional, examining for new, interesting information. Many, favor your heart! Buy marijuana edible

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super site! I am Loving it!! Will return again, Im taking your sustenance moreover, Thanks. fireplace repair Richmond bc

    ReplyDelete
  30. Goodness! Such an astounding and supportive post this is. I outrageously cherish it. It's so great thus amazing. I am simply flabbergasted. I trust that you keep on doing your work like this later on moreover. địa điểm ăn vặt hà nội

    ReplyDelete