Friday, April 27, 2018

The Top 5 USA Freestyle Wrestlers at 125 KG

I went to the UWW Freestyle World Cup in Iowa City, and it was awesome. In fact, it got me so amped up that I'm going to be coming at you with a bunch of wrestling content. I'm ranking the top five guys at every weight class, and today we finish with the big boys at 125 KG (approximately 275 pounds). Let's get to it.

5. Zachery Rey
I would say it is fairly likely that Rey finishes better than this, but since I don't really see any situation where he makes it to the top of the pile, I'm going to keep him at fifth as he's a tough out for guys and could easily end up second, but it would take an incredible amount of fortunate circumstances for him to take the top spot.

4. Gable Steveson
Gable Steveson is only 17 years old, and he's on this list. I have preached over and over how big of a jump it is to compete at the Senior Level from the Junior Level, and it definitely is. But this dude is SPECIAL. There is an incredible amount of talent coming up at heavyweight, but Steveson still stands head and shoulders above everyone else. Athletically, he might be the most gifted heavyweight out there, but I do think some of the strength and experience of the USA's top guys will give him issues. He probably won't be good enough to win this weight, but every match of his is going to be a must watch.

3. Tony Nelson
This is likely too high for Tony Nelson, but I remember Tony Nelson as a guy who always found a way to win at the college level. He won two national titles, and he always seemed to come through when it mattered most. I thought he would instantly be one of our best heavyweights on the international level, and instead, he has really failed to do anything in freestyle. I still believe the talent is there, and since my brain is stupid and my thoughts fail to change quickly, I could see him being the guy, but it is more realistic that he gets upset early and fails to make any noise at the US Freestyle Trials.

2. Dom Bradley
Dom Bradley is solid. He doesn't do anything that wows people, but he's tough to score on and he can keep things close. It's usually enough to keep him in the mix, but I can't see him being the guy for the United States.

1. Nick Gwiazdowski
Gwiazdowski is the man at this weight class, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. He's big, athletic, and has made a very strong transition to the world of freestyle. He's not a top guy at heavyweight internationally as he's never really had a breakthrough win against the top few guys a the weight, but he's still at a stage where he's getting better, and he should keep that spot for at least this year, but yeah, in the future, that Gable Steveson is set to make things interesting.

Previous Entries:
57 KG

No comments:

Post a Comment