Wednesday, June 19, 2019

The Ultimate NXT Draft: Picks 21-30

It has been three years since Jonah and I did an NXT Fantasy Draft to make our picks of who are going to be the next great superstars in the WWE. Then, about six months ago, we reviewed all of the picks to figure out what went right and what went wrong. We realized three things through this process. First off, very few wrestlers are in NXT from that original draft, and even the ones that are have changed dramatically over the last few years. Second, and more importantly for the strategy of this draft, is that we realized we cannot rely on WWE success to determine the strength of our selections as many of their creative decisions do not optimize their talent. So this draft is not predicting future success as much as it is drafting the wrestlers that we would want to build our organization around. Finally, we decided to be inclusive in this draft so not only will we have NXT and all of the wrestlers at the Performance Center, but we will include everyone over in NXT UK and even 205 Live since all of them are still working to progress in their career.

We've knocked out the top 20, so let's continue with 21-30 with a range of everything from Indy darling to former champion to a guy who just wants to rock.

21. Joe selects Albert Hardie Jr. Jordan Myles
Joe: The wrestler formerly known as ACH was another great signing for the WWE, and I think he’ll have a very bright future, but he’s probably going to need a gimmick name as the last Albert I remember in WWE was named after a piercing in your weewee (Update: He just changed his name to Jordan Myles). Even though he’s not tall, he’s THICK, and he packs quite a bit of power in his frame. I know this is a bit of a hot take, but I’m not sure if I wouldn’t prefer ACH over Kushida going forward. I’d still lean Kushida, but it’s really close for me.

Jonah: Jordan Myles may be thick, but he’s still not that big. He is talented in the ring though, but there was a bigger more cut guy who could go like crazy in the ring named Apollo Crews and things haven’t worked out that well for him. He’s a good wrestler, but is that enough these days among a super talented roster?

Joe: I know they are both black and jacked, but I would say that ACH has shown about 300 million times more personality than Apollo Crews whose entire personality can be described as, “Smiles.” ACH has not only shown personality, but he had to have obtained some hidden gems while he was hanging with Ryusuke Taguchi, the most hilarious man in professional wrestling. Expect the newly christened Jordan Myles to make A LOT of 69 jokes.

Jonah: Crews would say “Worldwide”, that’s money baby.

22. Jonah selects Dominik Dijakovic
Jonah: Dijakovic is recovering from knee surgery right now, but he’s a really talented prospect. He’s big, has a good look, is talented inside the ring and has an intense charisma about him. He won ROH’s top prospect tournament in 2015. There are big things in the future for Dijakovic once he heals up. He has all the tools to be a big player in NXT and on the main roster.

Joe: Ah, you took my fellow Croatian away from me. I was hoping he would fall into my next picks, but alas, it was not meant to be. He’s really fun in the ring. I got to see him against Ricochet at an NXT TV taping, and it was the best match of the entire four hours of wrestling. They ended up showing like three minutes of it on TV, but it was actually this incredible 12-minute back-and-forth match that was nonstop action and fun. As long as he stops being accidentally racist, things should be good for him in his career.

Jonah: It’s not like being overtly racist hurts your career in WWE.

23. Jonah selects Rhea Ripley
Jonah: Ripley was the first Women’s UK Champion, losing the title to earlier pick Toni Storm. She’s another woman I expect to still be on the main roster a decade from now putting on great matches. She’s talented in the ring and looks like a badass and plays the character well. She had a good showing at the 2019 Royal Rumble and is 22 years old. She will make a big jump in the next draft.

Joe: She is good, and I felt like there was a severe drop-off for women after this pick, so I stayed away for quite a while. She is good right now, has the potential to be better, so I can’t really disagree with anything Jonah said.

24. Joe selects Babatunde
Joe: Babatunde has been on the NXT Florida loop for nearly three years now. He’s massive at 6’9” and 350 pounds, and he has definitely shown improvement in the ring over the last couple years. With that sort of size, he doesn’t need to be great in the ring, and he’s a good enough athlete that he moves well enough to put on good matches. I have never heard him speak, so no clue about that, but with his size and athleticism, he could become something special, and his floor is incredibly high as just being that big makes him a threat to anyone.

Jonah: My boy Babatunde, just remember I was excited to take him years ago. No idea about his promo ability, but he is Polish so maybe he has a strong accent so they keep him silent. The most important fact about him is that he’s a former Minnesota Viking, so I assume he’ll do really well but never win the big one. Self burn.

25. Joe selects Roderick Strong
Joe: Roderick Strong this late in the game is a pretty incredible value. He has already proven that he can put on great matches on a big stage, and him turning heel has also helped his character work. I would say he probably has the least charisma in the Undisputed Era, but third place is Bobby Fish who is super charismatic and Cole and O’Reilly are both just overflowing with charisma. The guy is a workhorse and getting a third member of the best faction in WWE is just incredible for my organization, and that is undisputed.

Jonah: My draft was more focused on potential and youth and it caused Roddy to slide too far. He needs to be a heel forever because he was the most boring babyface in the entire world. He’s a hell of a wrestler and he still has plenty to offer, but I see him transitioning to a guy who puts the young talent over very soon, if he hasn’t already.

Joe: Geez, Jonah, he’s 35, not 55. His match against Matt Riddle showed that he isn’t slowing down anytime soon.

26. Jonah selects Dakota Kai
Jonah: I’m on Team Kick for sure. Dakota Kai is one of my favorites, and I am a huge fan of her in ring work. She also has that goofy, geeky charisma about her. She’s stuck feuding with some people who are very low on the card now, but she can go in the ring. Since this draft is more about who we enjoy I’m very happy to get Kai.

Joe: I’m more of a Dakota Kai hater as she just doesn’t do it for me. She had a semi-feud with Shayna Baszler, and I never felt invested in her character or in-ring work. It just kind of happened. That being said, a lot of people like her more than I do, so maybe this is something I will just be late on in the future. You probably could have had her 40 picks later.

Jonah: Your loss my friend, Dakota Kai will be a star when she gets the chance.

27. Jonah selects Tony Nese
Jonah: Have you seen this guy’s abs? Amazing. He’s certainly got the right look to be a big success and he’s the current WWE Cruiserweight Champion. I was a big fan of his matches against Buddy Murphy, though I do realize Murphy is a hell of a wrestler. I’ll take a talented wrestler with a good look who’s a current champion in this position all day.

Joe: I have seen his abs, and we saw a significant dropoff in his matches when he started taking on Ariya Daivari instead of Buddy Murphy. He’s okay, but I don’t see a huge ceiling with him as I think Poor Man’s PAC is a little too lofty for Nese. He’s probably Poor Man’s Adrian Neville.

Jonah: Adrian Neville had John Cena beat for the US Title before Seth Rollins interfered and never got a rematch. What ever happened to that guy?

Joe: He grew a beard, got way worse, and became Tony Nese?

Jonah: I think Neville is with that blond girl that Joey Ryan used to hang out with.

28. Joe selects Damian Priest
Joe: I felt very fortunate for Damian Priest to fall to me to this round. Not only is his name a real brain teaser. Damian is a name that has a negative connotation in America, but it actually means to tame and be peaceful. Meanwhile, the word priest is supposed to be a man of God, but they are mostly known for diddling little kids. So, is this guy going to tame his enemies or diddle their kids? Only time will tell.

In all some seriousness, the man formerly known as Punishment Martinez is an ideal prospect for the WWE as he has a unique look, plenty of size, and some great in-ring work. I’ve seen very little promo work from him, but the guy can go, and to get him this late in the draft is great value for me.

Jonah: Damian Priest was on my list, but I guess I underestimated where he would go in the draft. I saw some of his work in ROH and thought he was pretty good. Damian Priest is a stupid name, but I probably should have taken him a round or two earlier, this is a good pick by Joe.

29. Joe selects Rik Bugez
Joe: Apparently I love guys who just got new names as Eric Bugenhagen has become Rik Bugez, and this pick rocks. Eric Bugenhagen has become an air guitar superstar. Combine that with his high pitch yell which is something that you really need to hear in person, Bugez is everything that is stupid and wonderful about professional wrestling. The guy was sent out to be a jobber, and he got so over that they made him do an encore air guitar performance. I haven’t really seen him wrestle more than two minutes at a time, so I can’t really say how great he will be there, but he was a Division I wrestler for Wisconsin so the athletic traits are certainly there. Even if the guy is just capable in the ring, the charisma is enough where he will be a fun guy to cheer for during his career.

Jonah: This is bull jive because I didn’t notice Rik Bugez on the list of NXT talent, but I certainly would have noticed Eric Bugenhagen and can guarantee I would have taken him earlier than this. Something that Joe didn’t mention is that Bugez is apparently insanely strong so he can do impressive stuff while being super charismatic and get over. Very good round for Joe, very disappointing for me.

30. Jonah selects Tino Sabbatelli
Jonah: He’s got those butt implants, all sorts of other muscles, and got the Maserati in the divorce from Riddick Moss. Oh he’s also got Mandy Rose. He’s big, has a great look and has the NFL athleticism, he should do well. His downside is that he’s old and has had injuries in the past, but he is an incredible heel. The crowd would chant at him during his tag matches with Moss, completely ignoring Riddick. Honestly they should just put them back together as a team, they’re a solid heel tag team.

Joe: How do you even know about this stuff, Jonah? I have no clue on who is dating who, and you appear to be the man in the know. Anyway, he definitely has a great look, and that is where all of his heat comes from. He’s the guy you want to shield your girl’s eyes from when he comes out. The problem is that he isn’t very charismatic, and he’s not very good in the ring, but other than that, the man is a star.

Jonah: Joe, I am the greatest mind in professional wrestling in this or any generation. I literally know everything. Remind me to tell you about the time when I went to a wrestling trivia night and dominated so hard I drove off a table of people who showed up with replica belts.

Joe: I’m not sure if that’s sad or impressive.


Jonah: Things can be both.

Previously in the NXT Draft:
Picks 1-10

No comments:

Post a Comment