Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Most Underrated Prospects In The 2011 NFL Draft

Here is my final NFL Draft related piece before it actually starts. These are the most underrated player at each position. By publishing this list, it absolutely ensures that the Bears will not draft a single player on this list. The Packers will probably draft six. God, I hate the Packers.

QB - Greg McElroy - Alabama - I have already talked about McElroy, but I would just like to reiterate that I think he will provide great value for the team that drafts him.

RB - Dion Lewis - Pittsburgh - After the first three backs, it's a complete crapshoot on who will be drafted where. Running back is a position that has a lot to do with having the opportunity to succeed as well. I don't feel especially strong about this one, but Lewis is a guy to watch. He had a fantastic 2009 and a disappointing 2010. I don't know if he'll be a feature back, but he should be a good number two to have around.

FB - Brett Morse - Iowa - Because Brett Morse is awesome. Duh. In all seriousness though, there's a reason Iowa's running game has been very good these last few years despite varying talents of the offensive line and actual running backs, and Morse is a big reason why.

WR - Jeff Maehl - Oregon - The man that takes the title of most underrated player in the entire draft. Did anybody watch Oregon this year? Anytime they needed a play from the passing game, they looked to Maehl who was ALWAYS open. His measurables weren't impressive, and people complained that his body looked soft for a receiver. I don't see why any of this is important, because all this guy does is get open and make catches. That should count for something, right? I will be shocked if he is not successful in the NFL.

OT - I don't have any strong feelings about anyone who is greatly underrated at this position.

OG - Stephen Schilling - Michigan - Michigan's offense was very good, and as valuable as Denard Robinson was, he still needs people to block for him to have a chance to get in the open field. Schilling was a very good interior lineman for them, but he was forgotten because of people getting "Denarded" and the fact that he plays offensive guard.

C - Stefen Wisniewski - Penn State - This may be cheating, because National Football Post is high on him, but most places aren't. He was a great lineman at Penn State, and I just don't see a way that this guy fails to be a good player in the NFL.

DE - Greg Romeus - Pittsburgh - I don't know how I managed two Pittsburgh guys on this list, because I don't even like Pittsburgh, but here they are again. Romeus was hurt this past year, but many saw him as a potential first round pick going into the year. The fact that you might be able to get him in the fourth round would provide excellent upside, but definitely with some risk involved.

DT - Drake Nevis - LSU - Remember good Tommie Harris? That's what this guy can be. If he falls to the end of the second round and the Bears actually take him, this may be the first draft ever where I don't end up feeling sick afterwards.

OLB - Mark Herzlich - Boston College - This is partially for him overcoming cancer to play this past year. But before he had to overcome cancer, he was seen as a first round pick. Last year, he was still in recovery mode. I'm no doctor, so I can't say he'll ever be as good as he once showed, but I think it's a good risk to take in the middle rounds.

ILB - Greg Jones - Michigan State - All this guy did was dominate at the college level and carry the Spartan defense. He's not going to be great in coverage, but he also won't be a total liability. This guy is a football player, and I think that has been getting overlooked when evaluating him.

CB - Kendric Burney - North Carolina - His measurables are all terrible, but he has great instincts, and I think he has the ability to be a valuable nickel corner early in his career.

S - David Sims - Iowa State - Iowa State's defense was awful, but this guy always seemed to be around the ball. Had he played with talent around him, he's at least a third round pick. Instead, he appears headed towards the end of the draft if drafted at all, but I think this guy can be a solid starter in the NFL.

P - Ryan Donahue - Yes, he's listed as most people's top Punter, but I have not seen him on anybody's Top-25 available list, and that is a shame. Plus, I had to put him on this list, because I really didn't want to end it on an Iowa State guy.

And I believe this will be my last post about the NFL Draft before the NFL Draft. But stay tuned, as there is a good chance I live draft for the Bears picks so you can see who the Bears should have drafted.

-Joe

P.S. Brian McRae recently received his third DUI. This is sad for the obvious reason, but also because he is one of the few celebrities whose number I have in my phone. We once partied at a place called The Daiquiri Factory (I wish I was joking). He's an extremely friendly guy; he just must love driving drunk. Nothing wrong with that...well except for the driving drunk part.

No comments:

Post a Comment