Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Best And Worst Of My 2012 Fantasy Baseball Draft - Part 1

I know this post won't appeal to many people, but I got bored at work today, so I decided to at least be somewhat productive. Hence, I have picked out the best and worst pick of each round of my fantasy draft that happened a week and a half ago. I tried to avoid giving myself a best when possible. Otherwise, it would just be me patting myself on the ass nonstop. I have also changed the team names to protect their owners' identities. I gave everyone a cool name, except Cory, whose team I called Cory, because Cory is the worst.


ROUND 1
1
2
Albert Pujols, LAA 1B
3
Ryan Braun, Mil OF  
4
Jose Bautista, Tor 3B
5
Matt Kemp, LAD OF
6
7
Robinson Cano, NYY 2B
8
9
Justin Upton, Ari OF
10
11
12
Joey Votto, Cin 1B

Best Pick: Justin Upton – If the top three guys were already gone, Upton was next on my list. He’s a stud, and he’s still getting better. Plus, he’s really fun to cheer for, but still AC Slater should trade him to me so I can unite the power of the Upton brothers.

Worst Pick: Jacoby Ellsbury – I cannot imagine Ellsbury ever putting up the numbers he put up last year. He’s a third round pick in my mind. Plus, cheering for any Boston team is worse than cheering for a New York team, so I hate all Red Sox (except for the one I drafted).
ROUND 2
13
Roy Halladay, Phi SP
14
15
16
17
Mike Napoli, Tex C
18
19
20
21
22
Mark Teixeira, NYY 1B  
23
Ian Kinsler, Tex 2B
24
Best Pick: Hanley Ramirez – Yeah, the pick has risk, but he has top five potential, so getting him at 19 is pretty damn good value. If he would have fallen to 22, there is no doubt I would have pulled the trigger on him.

Worst Pick: Mike Napoli – So yeah, Team Hipster autopicked and only put like five guys on his list of guys that he definitely wanted, so his picks are hilariously bad for these first few rounds. I don’t see Napoli producing like he did last year, and even if he does, it’s only an okay pick in the second round.
ROUND 3
25
Adrian Beltre, Tex 3B
26
Jose Reyes, Mia SS
27
David Wright, NYM 3B  
28
Michael Bourn, Atl OF
29
30
Cliff Lee, Phi SP
31
32
33
Tim Lincecum, SF SP
34
Dan Uggla, Atl 2B
35
Jered Weaver, LAA SP
36
Matt Holliday, StL OF
Best Pick: Andrew McCutchen – McCutchen was already good, and he’s still getting better. This is at least second round value in the third round.

Worst Pick: Matt Holliday – He is the opposite of McCutchen. He’s getting worse, and he won’t be turning that around ever. That’s what old age does. Plus he doesn’t get to knock in Pujols anymore, who was a player that was pretty good at getting on base.
ROUND 4
37
Cole Hamels, Phi SP
38
Jay Bruce, Cin OF
39
Jon Lester, Bos SP
40
Hunter Pence, Phi OF
41
Josh Hamilton, Tex OF
42
Paul Konerko, CWS 1B
43
44
Eric Hosmer, KC 1B
45
46
CC Sabathia, NYY SP  
47
Nelson Cruz, Tex OF
48
Dan Haren, LAA SP
Best Pick: Jay Bruce – He probably isn’t the best pick, but I love Jay Bruce, so I will just be up front about my total bias and still give him credit for being the best pick in the round.

Worst Pick: Paul Konerko – He keeps producing, but Hosmer can definitely put up Konerko numbers, while having the upside to join the elite first basemen. I think Hosmer takes a step forward, not a leap, so I don’t have him as the best pick, but he’s a ton better than Konerko in that round.
ROUND 5
49
50
51
Brett Lawrie, Tor 3B  
52
53
Elvis Andrus, Tex SS
54
Zack Greinke, Mil SP
55
David Price, TB SP
56
57
Ben Zobrist, TB 2B
58
Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS
59
60
Best Pick: Zack Greinke – I see him as a top-5 pitcher this year, and had I already not gotten a pitcher early, I would have strongly considered him. Also, I have had a crush on Brett Lawrie since I saw him in the Midwest League. Dude is a stud, but yeah, it’s a really risky pick, so I can’t be wasting a best on that one.

Worst Pick: Carlos Zambrano – This was the highlight of the draft. Had he moved Zambrano up 10 spots from his position of a billiondy (not his actual position), he could have easily had Big Z, but give credit to Team Hipster; he really loves the Marlins.
ROUND 6
61
Alex Gordon, KC OF
62
C.J. Wilson, LAA SP
63
64
Matt Moore, TB SP
65
Lance Berkman, StL 1B
66
Matt Cain, SF SP
67
Craig Kimbrel, Atl RP
68
69
70
Brian McCann, Atl C  
71
72
Adam Jones, Bal OF
Best Pick: Adam Jones – We have to have five outfielders in our league, so the outfield can get pretty thin quickly. Adam Jones will definitely be good value here, and he could be great value if he can show some improvement from last year. It’s a pretty safe pick, but one that also provides solid upside.

Worst Pick: C.J. Wilson – I have just never been impressed with how he does things. He gets strikeouts, but not by being overpowering. He is in a better park for pitchers, but I still him taking a significant step backwards this year.
ROUND 7
73
74
Ian Kennedy, Ari SP
75
B.J. Upton, TB OF  
76
David Ortiz, Bos DH
77
78
Carl Crawford, Bos OF
79
Michael Morse, Wsh 1B
80
Heath Bell, Mia RP
81
82
83
Shin-Soo Choo, Cle OF
84
Matt Wieters, Bal C
Best Pick: Shin-Soo Choo – This was a tough one, but I think the highest likelihood of somebody really outperforming their draft slot is Choo. Youkilis was a really close second, and Wieters wasn’t far behind. Crawford could be a monster, but wrist injuries scare me, so I figured Choo was the best way to go here.

Worst Pick: Ian Kennedy – There were a lot of talented pitchers still on the board, and Kennedy is not a guy I see ever coming close to what he did last year.
ROUND 8
85
Drew Storen, Wsh RP
86
Michael Young, Tex 1B
87
88
Ichiro Suzuki, Sea OF
89
90
91
Ricky Romero, Tor SP
92
John Axford, Mil RP
93
94
Jason Heyward, Atl OF  
95
Jayson Werth, Wsh OF
96
Mat Latos, Cin SP
Best Pick: Madison Bumgarner – He’s really good. He has the ability to be the best pitcher on the Giants. So, yeah, he’s really good.

Worst Pick: Michael Young – He’s old, and he is going to decline. Last year was a surprisingly good year, but he is about as unexciting and unappealing as a first baseman can get.
ROUND 9
97
Drew Stubbs, Cin OF
98
Chris Young, Ari OF
99
Jeremy Hellickson, TB SP  
100
Mark Reynolds, Bal 3B
101
102
Rickie Weeks, Mil 2B
103
104
J.J. Hardy, Bal SS  
105
Brett Gardner, NYY OF
106
Brian Wilson, SF RP
107
Joe Mauer, Min C
108
Matt Garza, ChC SP
Best Pick: Joe Mauer – Mauer got signed to a really big extension, and nobody knows him better than the Twins do. They clearly felt it was a good investment. Early returns are bad, but Mauer should bounce back. Even if he only hits 10-15 home runs, he’ll still be a top-5 catcher this year.

Worst Pick: Desmond Jennings – He got off to an explosive start, but pitchers quickly caught up to him. I see this as a transition year where he’s going to struggle more than succeed, and I just did not see him as worthy of this high of a pick.
ROUND 10
109
110
111
112
Daniel Hudson, Ari SP
113
Corey Hart, Mil OF
114
115
Billy Butler, KC DH
116
117
Dee Gordon, LAD SS
118
Yu Darvish, Tex SP  
119
Michael Pineda*, NYY SP
120
Josh Johnson, Mia SP
Best Pick: Josh Johnson – Josh’s ERA was 1.64 last year. Yeah, he only pitched in nine games, but still, that’s really, really good. Obviously, he’s a huge health risk, but if he’s healthy, he has the potential to be the best pitcher in the major leagues.

Worst Pick: Dee Gordon – Yes, this is somehow worse than Pineda, because Dee Gordon has never been that impressive. I doubt he’s going to go against the best competition in the world and become some superstar. He’ll get you steals, and probably nothing else.
ROUND 11
121
Josh Beckett, Bos SP
122
Alex Avila, Det C
123
Tommy Hanson, Atl SP  
124
125
Joel Hanrahan, Pit RP
126
127
128
Derek Jeter, NYY SS
129
Gio Gonzalez, Wsh SP
130
Chase Utley, Phi 2B
131
Andre Ethier, LAD OF
132
Shaun Marcum, Mil SP
Best Pick: Tommy Hanson – None of the other options excite me, so I’ll give myself some props. If the shoulder is healthy, he’s a stud, and a monster pick at this point in the draft. Stay healthy, and make me look like a genius, Tommy.

Worst Pick: Chase Utley – This pains me to put out there, because I love Chase Utley, but he was never able to get in a groove last year, and he’s already got a serious injury this year. Chase, I know I can’t throw as fast as you, but I think you’ll be impressed with my speed. Also, you have great hair.
ROUND 12
133
Jose Valverde, Det RP
134
Cory Luebke, SD SP
135
Carlos Lee, Hou 1B
136
Adam Lind, Tor 1B
137
138
139
Max Scherzer, Det SP
140
Nick Swisher, NYY OF
141
Andrew Bailey, Bos RP
142
Jason Motte, StL RP  
143
144
Coco Crisp, Oak OF
Best Pick: Max Scherzer – Good pitcher in a later round kind of tops anything else in this round.

Worst Pick: Melky Cabrera – Going from a neutral park to a pitcher’s park, and I have never been impressed with his skill set.

I'll be back tomorrow with part two of the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment