Monday, February 26, 2018

The Best 5 Free Agents for the Chicago Bears

The NFL offseason is beginning soon, so I wanted to take this time to point out who the Chicago Bears should target during free agency. The Bears are going to have a little over $41 million to spend this offseason which should give them the opportunity to make a splash to help improve the team for 2018. Here are five guys I would like to see the Bears target in the next couple weeks.

5. Matt Barkley
First off, let's go with a simple addition that will hopefully never have to be used. The Bears are probably releasing Mike Glennon this offseason and since they will need a backup quarterback, why not bring back Matt Barkley? He wasn't great, but he was plenty good enough to be a backup, and he'll come cheap. Also, since I'm pretty sure John David Booty and Matt Leinart are retired, this is my only USC quarterback crush in the NFL, so I would like to be able to cheer for him...while he cheers on the sidelines.

4. Adrian Clayborn
My first Iowa homer pick. The Chicago Bears have some decent options on the defensive line but nobody that stands out. Clayborn isn't going to set the world on fire, but he did have 9.5 sacks this past season and his versatility could greatly benefit the Bears as he can fill multiple roles.

3. Anthony Hitchens
My second Iowa homer pick, but this one might be even more justified. The Bears current linebacking corps is...uninspiring. They're fine, but nobody stands out. I know Hitchens isn't well known, but the guy is very good. He has the skills to play in any scheme, and it should be a rather inexpensive way to get a reliable linebacker to upgrade the defense.

2. Darqueze Dennard
If you are a longtime reader of the blog, you know that I am mildly obsessed with Darqueze's brother, Alfonzo. I screamed his praises before the draft, after the draft, and I even proposed him for the XFL Draft. This probably won't surprise you, but Darqueze has many of the same characteristics that made me fall in love with Alfonzo. Dennard was seen as a disappointment before this year, but he had a very good season, and I think it's a sign that he's turning the corner (no pun intended). It often takes cornerbacks a few years to find their way in the NFL, and with his limited track record, I think he could still provide good value and excellent play in the Bears secondary.

1. Sammy Watkins
I should probably also mention that I love Sammy Watkins. I went to the Orange Bowl between Clemson and Ohio State in 2014, and I will never forget what Sammy Watkins did in that game as it was the most dominating performance I have ever seen from a single player in a football game. He DESTROYED Ohio State, and it was GLORIOUS. Watkins has struggled with injuries as a pro, but he did stay healthy this past season. He has also never really had a great quarterback getting him the ball, but he's always been able to make plays. Also, he's still only 25 years old. I don't think he's going to break the bank, but I do think that he can be a legitimate number one receiver, and I would love to see Trubisky connecting with Watkins for the next 5-10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment