Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Dodge Ram Super Bowl Commercial

When watching the Super Bowl commercials, one thing is for sure: Fast 6 had by far the best commercial, but that was partly due to the fact that it was promoting by far the best product. After that, I actually liked the Volkswagen commercial where the guy talks like he's from Jamaica. I just liked that guy; I rooted for him. His happy demeanor made me happy, so that commercial is a success. But there was another car commercial that way more people were talking about. This piece of shit...

I got done with the commercial and said, "Wow, that was just a huge waste of money for Dodge." Everyone I was with agreed, because, at best, it was hilarious white trash. It was so over the top and appealing to the lowest common denominator in doing so that I was amazed that any successful corporation could be dumb enough to make such a piece of shit. But then I got thinking, advertising agencies are smart. Billion dollar corporations are smart. But this ad is so dumb.

And then it hit me, people are going to love this. I immediately went to my source on all things that appeal to the lowest common denominator, Facebook. Holy fuck, it was worse than I could have possibly imagined. My news feed was loaded with people praising this commercial as the best commercial of the night.

I'm hoping that this is just because I am from Iowa, and Iowans literally nut all over themselves if they hear the word "farmer." I only know like three people that actually grew up on a farm, but goddamn if 90% of the state doesn't identify with the words "farmer" and "cowboy" when they are, in fact, neither.

It honestly doesn't even make sense these days. Farming isn't this hard days in the field, noble activity. There's a shit ton of technology where most people can probably run a farm on their iPad. Is there still hard work and long days involved at times? Of course, but there are hard workers in every job imaginable. I'm sure there are some amazing fast food employees, but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "farmers." It appeals to a nostalgia that people never even experienced. People hear an old speech about farmers, and it somehow reminds them of everything right in the world, even though they know nothing of farming. That amazes me.

It appeals to the lowest common denominator, which, come to think of it, are the people most likely to be influenced to buy a pickup truck from a Super Bowl ad.

I guess it was the best commercial of the Super Bowl (Fast 6 excluded, obviously). Congratulations, Dodge, and readers, if you see somebody driving a Ram, beware, there is a very good chance that they are only a partially functioning retarded person.

No comments:

Post a Comment